P.O. Box 10025, Bedford, NH 03110




Testing is the only way to know if you and your family are at risk from Radon.  The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes below the third floor for radon.


KROKER HOME INSPECTION P.L.L.C. recommends testing both Air and Water in New Hampshire.  A Radon Air Test is usually performed in the basement with doors and windows closed.  A Radon Water Test is recommended, particularly if the home uses a private well.


Radon is a naturally occurring colorless, tasteless, odorless radioactive gas.  The American Lung Association and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have identified exposure to Radon as the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. 


Radon is an invisible gas produced by the decay of naturally occurring uranium in soil and water. Radon is a form of ionizing radiation and a proven carcinogen. Lung cancer is the only known effect on human health from exposure to radon in air.


Radon is found in outdoor air and in the indoor air of buildings of all kinds. EPA recommends homes be fixed if the radon level is 4 pCi/L (picocuries per liter) or more. Because there is no known safe level of exposure to radon, EPA also recommends that Americans consider fixing their home for radon levels between 2 pCi/L and 4 pCi/L. The average radon concentration in the indoor air of America's homes is about 1.3 pCi/L. It is upon this level that EPA based its estimate of 20,000 radon-related lung cancers a year. It is for this simple reason that EPA recommends that Americans consider fixing their homes when the radon level is between 2 pCi/L and 4 pCi/L. The average concentration of radon in outdoor air is .4 pCi/L or 1/10th  of EPA's 4 pCi/L action level.


Levels vary from home to home, development to development.  Radon gas moves through small spaces in the soil and rock.  It enters a home through dirt floors, floor drains, cracks in the foundation, cracks in the basement floor, cracks in slab floors in homes without basements, holes for sump pumps, and through hollow core block foundation walls.



The EPA Recommends:

  If you are buying a home or selling your home, have it tested for radon.

  For a new home, ask if radon-resistant construction features were used and if the home has been tested.

  Fix the home if the radon level is 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher.

  Radon levels less than 4 pCi/L still pose a risk and in many cases may be reduced.

  Take steps to prevent test device interference when conducting a radon test.


The EPA provides detailed Radon information at


© 2012 - 2020.  Kroker Home Inspection P.L.L.C. All rights reserved.